City Closing a Portion of Downtown Second Street to Vehicle Traffic on Friday Nights
Thursday May 27, 2021 5:01 PM
The City of Owensboro will close a portion of downtown Second Street on Friday evenings beginning Friday, May 28, 2021.
Second Street will be closed from Daviess Street to Saint Ann Street each Friday evening from 5:00pm – 12:00 Midnight throughout the summer months. There has been a growing concern among downtown businesses and patrons regarding public safety with vehicle traffic through the downtown core. By minimizing vehicle traffic in this congested area, the City aims to provide a safer environment and adequate space for the growing crowds on Friday evenings.
“We have been communicating with downtown businesses and monitoring their concerns for several months,” said Mayor Tom Watson. “We anticipate larger than normal crowds returning to events as we finally get through the restrictions that everyone has been dealing with for the last 15 months. Our goal is to help minimize the safety concerns near the outdoor café seating when we have the larger crowds on Friday nights.”
For more information about the City of Owensboro, please visit www.owensboro.org.
Other Recent News
- Pleasant Valley Road Paving
- Owensboro Board of Commissioners - Commission Meeting
- Public Meeting to Discuss Cravens Pool
- Edge Ice Center Offering Learn-to-Skate Classes
- Golf Course Morning Scrambles
- Property Maintenance Code Enforcement Board Special Called Meeting
- Owensboro Sister Cities and Regions Meeting Cancellation
- Owensboro Board of Commissioners - Work Session
- Edge Ice Center – 2021 Fall Break Skating Sessions
- Ice Hockey and the Benefits it instills in Local Youth